“HOW I EDIT MY PHOTOS”
Retro, vintage, classic, faded, dusty, old, abused, retrieved, or sometimes restored. These are the words that I use to explain my photos to people. Welcome to my December entry! In this post, I’ll show you how I edit my photos to make it look vintage.
1. Download these awesome apps!
– Polar (It’s like lightroom, but better. It has more features that you can use. And it’s FREE)
– Afterlight (This is an amazing app, I ise this app to create a dusty retro looking pictures. Also it has these vintage film effects where you can really boost creativity. You’ll only have to pay PHP60)
– VSCO (The best app for editing photos. I believe that everyone knows this app.)
These are the apps that you should have to create wonderful retro photos.
2. HOW TO START EDITING?
– The first photo is unedited, I only played with the colors using POLAR. I specifically used “HSL” (Hue-Saturation-Luminance). This is one of the features that they have where-in you can change a specific color to a color you like. For ex. you can change all the green into warm deep yellow and all the blue into purple.
– After using POLAR, transfer the photo to AFTERLIGHT. This is where I insert the dusty effects that makes the photo look vintage. Then to make it look like it came from an expired film, insert some light leak (what’s dope about the light leak feature is that you can change the color to match your photo). Something like this
(You can change the color of all the light leak feature.)
– Now, I’ll transfer the photo on my VSCO to put the filter that I need to produce a retro picture. VSCO offers presets to make editing easier for you, this is why I love the app because they have more than 80 presets that you can choose from. Wanna know a secret? Sometimes I combine filters to make a unique one! Keep exploring your creativity!
3. How to fix and curate feed
The hard part is, you have to create a signature. Curating a feed depending on the theme that you want to achieve is very hard. Every post you publish should be connected from the previous post. That how I want mine to look like. It’s like me telling a story or narrating my own movie. You have to know the combinations of edits that you’ll do for every post. Like mine now, since we’re celebrating Christmas in ten days, I’m trying to stick with a cold color scheme (blue-ish, green-ish?).
Here is one edit you can try with VSCO
Step 1: Polar app – use the HSL feature and create the colors that you want for your photo
Step 2: Save the photo and transfer is to VSCO. I didn’t use afterlight for this photo.
Step 3: VSCO
YOU CAN COPY THIS ONE
FILTER: U4 – BRIGHTNESS: 1.3 – SHARPEN: 6.5 – FADE: 5 – TEMPERATURE: -1.0 – TINT: 2.0
And there you have it! It’s not easy to learn these things, so be patient and really take the time to understand, explore, and experiment.
For more photos and Retro inspiration follow my instagram account!
Let me know what you think!